Peyton Manning did not have a very good game on Sunday for the Denver Broncos, despite breaking the all-time passing yardage record. In fact, he had four interceptions and was benched in the third quarter of his team’s game against the Kansas City Chiefs. Despite the game being not much of a contest though, the game saw a spike in Twitter activity when the Broncos decided to make a change at quarterback. Manning was benched for Brock Osweiler in the third quarter, and this caused the biggest spike in Twitter activity, with 2,226 tweets initially and over 11,000 in the five minutes following. You can view the entire graph of this game’s Twitter activity here.
It’s worth noting, Manning’s four interceptions (253, 893, 1,456, and 921 curated tweets respectively) garnered less Twitter buzz than his benching, with the record (476 tweets) garnering even less (although, having needed just 3 yards to get it, it was pretty much a foregone conclusion).
Meanwhile, in the Meadowlands of New Jersey, the Patriots and Giants were giving their audience a well-fought game. It was shaping down to a final drive for the Patriots, that brought them to the Giants’ 42-yard line. With one second remaining, and New York leading 26-24, Stephen Gostkowski was brought on to kick a game-winning field goal. He drilled it. Once again, Twitter went nuts. The kick garnered over 16,000 tweets in the following five minutes, the highest total of the weekend. You can view the entire graph of this games’ Twitter activity here.
Meanwhile, here are the top Twitter moments of Week 10 in the NFL:
- Gostkowski kicks a field goal to give the Patriots the lead with :01 left against the Giants. (4,177 tweets initially; 16,821 in the five minutes following including the final whistle)
- Texans force an AJ Green fumble on 4th (2,116 tweets initially; 14,753 five minutes following)
- Brock Osweiler replaces Peyton Manning as quarterback for the Broncos vs. Chiefs. (2,226 tweets initially; 11,042 five minutes following)
- Brady to Gronkowski for 76 yards and a touchdown in the 4th quarter against the Giants. (2,491 tweets initially; 9,679 five minutes following)
- Crosby missed field goal as time expires against the Lions. (2,155 tweets initially; 8,042 five minutes following)
Most popular games of the week:
- Patriots vs. Giants (197,468 total tweets)
- Texans vs. Bengals (180,082 total tweets)
- Cardinals vs. Seahawks (151,432 total tweets)
- Chiefs vs. Broncos (150,811 total tweets)
- Browns vs. Steelers (124,166 total tweets)
Least popular game of the week: Jaguars vs. Ravens (33,291 total tweets)
Notable facts of the week:
- The Jaguars were part of the least popular game on social media for the fifth time this year, though they certainly provided the excitement on the last play of the game, winning on a 54-yard field goal on an untimed down thanks to a personal foul call.
- Gostkowski’s field goal with one second left against the Giants was the most mentioned Twitter moment in the NFL according to Social Delta since Tony Romo hit Jason Witten for the go-ahead touchdown against the Giants in Week 1.
- Even though it was a nationally television game, Texans vs. Bengals is a bit surprising as the #2 most-mentioned game of the week, considering neither team is that “public” of a team and the game finished with just 16 total points. Still, the Texans upsetting the Bengals in Cincinnati was a big surprise and definitely a topic on which Twitter users were vocal.