There were plenty of popular NFL games on social media this week – so which one gave us our most popular since September?
That honor would belong to the Eagles vs. Cowboys game on Sunday Night Football. For whatever reason, people enjoy watching NFC East games, so NBC has gladly put them in primetime as often as possible. It was a good call this week, as Eagles vs. Cowboys provided viewers with an overtime thriller that ended with a game-winning touchdown pass by Eagles quarterback Sam Bradford to Jordan Matthews. This game went back and forth and was exciting for the entire fourth quarter onward. It’s no surprise that three of the top five most tweeted plays of week occurred in the Eagles vs. Cowboys game. You can view the entire graph of this game’s Twitter activity here.
This was certainly not the only popular or exciting game of the week! The Colts knocked the Broncos from the ranks of the undefeated, and looked the best they have all season. The Panthers once again proved they were for real, defeating the Green Bay Packers at home. And the Pittsburgh Steelers were tested by the Oakland Raiders, but were able to get a big win at home.
As for the top five social moments in the NFL’s Week 9 schedule of games, here is what garnered the most interaction:
- Sam Bradford’s touchdown to Jordan Matthews in overtime, giving the Eagles the victory over the Cowboys. (2,193 tweets initially; 15,835 in the five minutes following)
- Dez Bryant’s touchdown catch in the fourth quarter against the Eagles, tying the game at 21-21. (2,859 tweets initially; 14,076 five minutes following)
- Final in the Broncos vs. Colts game. (2,433 tweets initially; 12,160 five minutes following)
- Dan Bailey’s game-tying kick against the Eagles to send the game into overtime. (3,320 tweets initially; 11,500 five minutes following)
- Final in the Bears vs. Chargers game. (2,325 tweets initially; 10,970 five minutes following)
Top five games by total tweets: (Click on the links to view the Twitter volume graphs for each game!)
- Eagles vs. Cowboys (208,058 total tweets)
- Packers vs. Panthers (191,066 total tweets)
- Raiders vs. Steelers (171,978 total tweets)
- Broncos vs. Colts (146,211 total tweets)
- Bears vs. Chargers (125,856 total tweets)
Least popular game of the week: Jaguars vs. Jets (29,367 total tweets)
Notable facts of the week:
- This week marks the first week when Thursday Night Football was not one of the top 5 games mentioned on Twitter, although that could have as much to do with it being the first Thursday Night Football game solely on NFL Network as it could with it being Cleveland vs. Cincinnati. Still, at 120,742 total accumulated tweets, it is still a pretty high total, especially for the sixth most tweeted game of the week.
- The least mentioned game of the week was between the Jaguars and Jets – the fourth time so far this year a Jaguars game has been least mentioned! And the first time a game featuring a team based in New York City.
- The Packers vs. Panthers game accumulated 191,066 total tweets; good enough for the second highest total of the week. However, it did not register a single most-mentioned moment. In fact, it didn’t even come close, as the game was pretty stead throughout in accumulation. Meanwhile, the Broncos vs. Colts had the fourth highest accumulation, but had the non-Sunday Night biggest social moment of the week, as the game went final (amid the chatter about Aqib Talib’s personal foul). The two graphs look very different, and you can view each here: DENvsIND, GBvsCAR.
- For this season, the Packers vs. Panthers and Raiders vs. Steelers gave us the most and second most twitter mentions for 1:00 p.m. ET games respectively.