Week 6 was another big week in the NFL, highlighted by two big rivalries in primetime games, and a third including the rivalry on Thursday night. Throw in a couple of overtime thrillers and an undefeated team winning on the road in dramatic fashion, and there were plenty of things to talk about in the NFL on social media.
The two biggest games of the week on Twitter were the Sunday night and Monday night games. In the Sunday night game, the New England Patriots defeated the Indianapolis Colts in Indy by the score of 34-27. This game was close and competitive throughout the first half, but really got going on social media when the Colts attempted a strange fake punt play. This play was one of the biggest plays of the week on social media, as many people, including myself, were confused about what had just happened. Meanwhile, the New York Giants and Philadelphia Eagles battled on Monday night, and this game was mostly a mess of turnovers in the first half, before the Eagles pulled away thanks to their defense in the second half. You can view the entire timelines of social interaction for these games here.
- Cam Newton throws the go-ahead touchdown pass to Greg Olsen against the Seattle Seahawks with under a minute left in the game. (1,934 tweets initially; 11,349 in the five minutes following.)
- The Panthers vs. Seahawks game goes final. (2,063 tweets initially; 11,343 five minutes following)
- Colts’ special teams fake punt fiasco. (2,250 tweets initially; 10,605 five minutes following)
- Brady throws a touchdown pass to Rob Gronkowski early in the third quarter against the Colts. (1,509 tweets initially; 10,023 five minutes following)
- Peyton Manning throws an interception in overtime, followed by the Broncos’ defense recording two sacks of Josh McCown to take the Browns out of field goal range. (1,340 tweets initially; 7,178 five minutes following)
Top five games by total tweets: (Click on the links to view the Twitter volume graphs for each game!)
- Patriots vs. Colts (193,641 total tweets)
- Giants vs. Eagles (180,321 total tweets)*
- Panthers vs. Seahawks (119,554 total tweets)
- Falcons vs. Saints (87,048 total tweets)
- Broncos vs. Browns (86,014 total tweets)
Least popular game of the week: Texans vs. Jaguars (21,814 total tweets)
Notable facts of the week: What a big weekend for Cam Newton and the Carolina Panthers! Their big play against the Seahawks in the final minute of the game, not only gave them their sixth win of the year and made the general public take the Panthers seriously, but it also earned the top two spots in our most talked about moments of the NFL week on social media. This is pretty interesting, considering how many people were talking about the Colts’ fake punt snafu. It was also a big part in making the Panthers vs. Seahawks game the third most talked about game on Twitter, passing one of the three primetime games.
Broncos vs. Browns was the fifth most-talked about game of the week, and it was definitely helped by the game going into overtime. It was a back-and-forth contest in the final quarter and overtime (even if the action wasn’t particularly very good). It was one of two overtime games like this, as the Lions earned their first win of the season by beating the Bears in OT. This game also had its back-and-forth’s in the final quarter and overtime, and, like Denver/Cleveland, was not that great of a football game. This could be why it did not crack our top 5 games, at 59,951 total tweets.
*This game including a 10-minute interval of Star Wars related tweets during halftime, which accumulated an average of 2,500 curated tweets per minute.